Healing Zoey’s gut 3 Things I’ve learned.
A few months ago I shared that my girl, Zoey (dog) started vomiting everything up that she ate. I took her and got an exam, then followed by bloodwork, to make sure there wasn’t anything going on that I couldn’t see. Her blood work was perfect. So we started with an antibiotic, some zofran, and a dewormer, in case there was something her regular maintenance wormer missed. (There wasn’t)
During this time I started paying a lot more attention to what was going on with her. One night her heart was beating so hard it was shaking my bed. I spoke with a good friend, who knows a lot about things like this and subsequently put her on a 24 hour fast, to help clean her system out. Looked at her face, mouth and belly, and realized that she was having some sort of allergic reaction to something.
I started feeding her one thing at a time. Her body at this point was hypersensitive. If I gave her something that didn’t agree, the reaction was almost instant. Red eyelids, slightly inflamed, nose and mouth red, inflamed, and her belly was red. She was also itching. I gave her a Benadryl the first time that happened, because I was afraid of worst case scenario.
After almost three months, we are at a good place now. I also realized that her gut had been damaged…and I needed to figure out a way to heal it. So I did some research and started giving her marshmallow root, slippery elm and l-glutamine. She cannot eat anything that has chicken, chicken by products, wheat, eggs, or corn, or goats milk. I make her food now. She gets organic ground beef, or roast, and all kind of fruits and vegetables. (Broccoli, cauliflower, carrots, sweet potatoes, brussel sprouts, spinach, apples, blueberries, green beans, asparagus, mushrooms).
(Click the underlined words or pictures to see product benefits and more information)
So we are here today, and her gut is finally on the mend. It’s been rough though, I’ll admit. I knew I didn’t want her to be on a bunch of pharma, and I knew that since her vitals were good, and her bloodwork didn’t show any signs of disease, that I could get her back on track without infusing her body with synthetic crap. As I was looking back, I realized I missed her body telling me the issues. She had been retaining fluid…something I had mistaken as her being a little fat. When I started doing the detox, her kidneys started working normally, her heart wasn’t beating hard…I’m just fortunate that there wasn’t any permanent damage…but I believe that she was on the way to failure, and that the only reason we made it out is because she’s healthy overall.
How did this happen? Well good question. I believe it was her dog food. Kibble. I was feeding a 4 star rated dog food. So I thought I was ok… but since this started to happen only during the time I’ve fed this to her, I’m attributing it to this. I sometimes switched up her dog food, as I would find things in the ingredients that I didn’t like, or was known to cause issues with dogs.
It really doesn’t matter… there is soooooo much crap in kibble. The processing of the food takes out all of the vitamins and minerals, and then they have to add them back in, plus the preservatives that are added to make it shelf stable for a billion years. None of this is good for my dog. It’s not good for me, so why should it be good for her? 🤷🏻♀️
If you don’t want to make your own dog food, I’ve found ONE food that has nothing in it that is artificial and it has no chemicals as well. It’s called Sunday.
So what are the three things? 1) Don’t panic 2)ask a trusted person who knows about what’s going on, someone other than a vet, someone who’s had experience in the same things that I’m going through with my girl. 3) Don’t discount your gut feeling, and natural medicine works just as well, if not better than pharma.